The Global Embassy of Activists for Peace (GEAP) in Chile celebrated World Blood Donor Day in 6 cities of the country with the purpose of sensitizing communities about the importance of becoming a voluntary and habitual donor.
260 effective blood units collected and 350 sensitized people was the result of a simultaneous work in the cities of Santiago, Calama, Copiapó, Talcahuano, Curicó and Temuco, under the theme "With love from my heart I donate blood and saved lives".
The celebration counted on the participation of Mayor Nora Cuevas, of the municipality of San Bernardo and Mayor Miguel Becker, of the municipality of Temuco.
Dr. Verónica Céspedes, representative of the hospital in Talcahuano and the director of the Maule Health Center, Max Aguilar, also attended.
The banks and hospital centers responsible for blood collection:
- Santiago: San Juan de Dios Blood Bank, mobile campaign in the main square of the Ilustres, municipality of San Bernardo
- Temuco: Blood Bank of Hernán Enríquez Aravena Hospital
- Copiapó: Blood Bank of San José Del Carmen Hospital
- Talca: Catholic University of Maule and House of the Blood Donor Maule
- Talcahuano: Hospital La Higueras de Talcahuano, the Chief Physician of the Transfusion Medicine Unit.
- Calama: Plaza 23 de marzo in conjunction with the Transfusion Medicine Unit of the Carlos Cisternas Hospital.
This work was carried out with 80 activists and 700 people in attendance, and counted with media coverage. The Maule Health Service, Red en Acción, covered the event. The GEAP gave a special recognition to Mayor Nora Cuevas for her commitment in conjunction with the organized civil society and state institutions in the development of activities for the benefit of the population.